Movao | a community platform for amputees✎
Movao is a community platform where amputees and their loved ones can connect locally and globally with like-minded people about similar interests and challenges
- Amputation is overwhelming, especially when it happens suddenly because of an accident, but also when it has already become apparent due to diabetes. Information available on the internet is usually too confusing. What is needed is good starter information, tips on living with an amputation and a single contact point where all relevant information is available in a compact form.
- Often the quality of the information is unclear. As goes for everywhere on the internet, it’s all too easy to find false, incomplete, highly simplified or biased information. Verified and trustworthy information is what is required.
- But information alone is often not enough. In many cases, people can feel somewhat abandoned, and perhaps their family is also overwhelmed by the new situation. Therefore, contact with people that have already experienced and mastered this situation is essential. Unfortunately, this openness can be abused, as fake identities can easily be created on the internet.
- Users and their loved ones can request to join the community and will be checked and approved by a community manager who also monitors the platform to prevent abuse.
- A live feed, similar to other social media platforms, facilitates exchange of experiences, problems and possible solutions in daily life with a prosthesis.
- There is a section with compact, relevant information. It is important that this information is quality assured and manufacturer-neutral.
- There are personal stories written about life with an amputation..
- A member area enables users to search for others with similar life situations or interests. There’s an interactive map which allows users to look for others in their region or city. In this way, the platform contributes to direct networking.
- The platform is complemented by a discussion forum and an event overview.
Ottobock's Movao Platform is interesting for people beyond the company and the community of people who wear prostheses - especially from the point of view of responsible innovation. It shows perfectly how the focus can be expanded from the product to the underlying need, the entire everyday lives of those affected and their difficult situations.
In the health care sector, patient empowerment is increasingly important – giving targeted support to patients so they can make more informed and better decisions about their lives. Movao aligns with this increasing trend, and it’s also a good example of the participatory aspect of Responsible Innovation, which is about innovating with the people and for the people.