TRUST - Equitable Research Partnerships✎
Achieving equity in international research is one of the pressing concerns of the 21st century. Many international groups and organisations are working on governance frameworks and standards to guide research activities after progressive globalization. However, their efforts are disparate and lacking a guiding vision. In an interdisciplinary collaboration between multi-level ethics bodies, policy advisors/makers, civil society organisations, funding organisations, industry and academic scholars from a range of disciplines, this project combines long-standing, highly respected efforts to build international governance structures with new exciting network opportunities in Europe, India, Sub-Saharan Africa, China and Russia.
TRUST will open up new horizons in improving adherence to high ethical standards globally. The project’s strategic output are three sets of tools based on participatory engagement covering all continents: (1) a global code of conduct for funders (2) a fair research contracting on-line tool and (3) a compliance and ethics follow-up tool, which takes limited resources into account.
Main objectives of the TRUST Project are:
- Create an international network on global research ethics governance with relevant key actors to identify generic risks of exporting non‐ethical practices.
- Identify paradigmatic case studies of exporting non‐ethical practices and report on lessons learnt.
- Develop a global code of conduct that can be used by the European Commission and funders world‐wide to foster ethical research and equitable partnerships.
- Develop a tool that gives power to vulnerable populations under non‐ideal conditions (fair research contract).
- Develop a compliance and ethics follow‐up tool for conditions of high vulnerability.
- Develop a strategy for fostering the convergence of global ethical research governance to improve adherence to high ethical standards in the longer term.
- The San Code of Research Ethics – English
- The San Code of Research Ethics – Afrikaans
- The San Code of Research Ethics – French
- The San Code of Research Ethics – German
- The San Code of Research Ethics – Portuguese
- The San Code of Research Ethics – Chinese
- The San Code of Research Ethics – Japanese
- Final TRUST event at European Parliament
- The Centre for Professional Ethics, University of Central Lancashire, UK
- The Council on Health Research for Development Associatio (COHRED)
- The Forum for Ethics Review Committees in India (FERCI)
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO)
- The South African San Institute (SASI)
- The ‘Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale’ (Inserm)
- The University of Manitoba/University of Nairobi HIV/AIDS collaborative Research Group
- Action Contre La Faim (ACF)
- The Department of Environmental & Geographical Science (EGS) at the University of Cape Town
- Signosis Sprl
- The Foundation Global Values Alliance (FGVA)
- The European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP)
- The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (Wits)
EU contribution: EUR 2 141 173,25