The Science of Citizen Science✎
Last modified on 13 January 2021
Provides a unique overview of the field of citizen science
Explores and summarizes an innovative research field
Case studies illustrate the varying aspect of citizen science
Research based on a pan-European networks of experts
This open access book discusses how the involvement of citizens into scientific endeavors is expected to contribute to solve the big challenges of our time, such as climate change and the loss of biodiversity, growing inequalities within and between societies, and the sustainability turn. The field of citizen science has been growing in recent decades. Many different stakeholders from scientists to citizens and from policy makers to environmental organisations have been involved in its practice. In addition, many scientists also study citizen science as a research approach and as a way for science and society to interact and collaborate. This book provides a representation of the practices as well as scientific and societal outcomes in different disciplines. It reflects the contribution of citizen science to societal development, education, or innovation and provides and overview of the field of actors as well as on tools and guidelines. It serves as an introduction for anyone who wants to get involved in and learn more about the science of citizen science.
TABLE OF CONTENTS (26 chapters)
- Editorial: The Science of Citizen Science Evolves | Katrin Vohland, Anne Land-Zandstra, Luigi Ceccaroni, Rob Lemmens, Josep Perelló, Marisa Ponti et al
- What Is Citizen Science? The Challenges of Definition | Mordechai (Muki) Haklay, Daniel Dörler, Florian Heigl, Marina Manzoni, Susanne Hecker, Katrin Vohland
- Citizen Science in Europe | Katrin Vohland, Claudia Göbel, Bálint Balázs, Eglė Butkevičienė, Maria Daskolia, Barbora Duží et al.
Citizen Science as Science
- Science as a Commons: Improving the Governance of Knowledge Through Citizen Science | Maite Pelacho, Hannot Rodríguez, Fernando Broncano, Renata Kubus, Francisco Sanz García, Beatriz Gavete et al.
- Citizen Science in the Natural Sciences | Didone Frigerio, Anett Richter, Esra Per, Baiba Pruse, Katrin Vohland
- Citizen Humanities | Barbara Heinisch, Kristin Oswald, Maike Weißpflug, Sally Shuttleworth, Geoffrey Belknap
- Citizen Social Science: New and Established Approaches to Participation in Social Research | Alexandra Albert, Bálint Balázs, Eglė Butkevičienė, Katja Mayer, Josep Perelló
- Data Quality in Citizen Science | Bálint Balázs, Peter Mooney, Eva Nováková, Lucy Bastin, Jamal Jokar Arsanjani
- A Conceptual Model for Participants and Activities in Citizen Science Projects | Rob Lemmens, Gilles Falquet, Chrisa Tsinaraki, Friederike Klan, Sven Schade, Lucy Bastin et al.
- Machine Learning in Citizen Science: Promises and Implications | Martina Franzen, Laure Kloetzer, Marisa Ponti, Jakub Trojan, Julián Vicens
- Participation and Co-creation in Citizen Science | Enric Senabre Hidalgo, Josep Perelló, Frank Becker, Isabelle Bonhoure, Martine Legris, Anna Cigarini
- Citizen Science, Health, and Environmental Justice | Luigi Ceccaroni, Sasha M. Woods, James Sprinks, Sacoby Wilson, Elaine M. Faustman, Aletta Bonn et al.
Citizen Science in Society
- Participants in Citizen Science | Anne Land-Zandstra, Gaia Agnello, Yaşar Selman Gültekin
- Inclusiveness and Diversity in Citizen Science | Carole Paleco, Sabina García Peter, Nora Salas Seoane, Julia Kaufmann, Panagiota Argyri
- Learning in Citizen Science | Laure Kloetzer, Julia Lorke, Joseph Roche, Yaela Golumbic, Silvia Winter, Aiki Jõgeva
- Citizen Science Case Studies and Their Impacts on Social Innovation | Eglė Butkevičienė, Artemis Skarlatidou, Bálint Balázs, Barbora Duží, Luciano Massetti, Ioannis Tsampoulatidis et al.
- Science as a Lever: The Roles and Power of Civil Society Organisations in Citizen Science | Claudia Göbel, Lucile Ottolini, Annett Schulze
- Citizen Science and Policy | Sven Schade, Maite Pelacho, Toos (C. G. E.) van Noordwijk, Katrin Vohland, Susanne Hecker, Marina Manzoni
- Creating Positive Environmental Impact Through Citizen Science | Toos (C. G. E.) van Noordwijk, Isabel Bishop, Sarah Staunton-Lamb, Alice Oldfield, Steven Loiselle, Hilary Geoghegan et al.
- Ethical Challenges and Dynamic Informed Consent | Loreta Tauginienė, Philipp Hummer, Alexandra Albert, Anna Cigarini, Katrin Vohland
Citizen Science in Practice
- Finding What You Need: A Guide to Citizen Science Guidelines | Francisco Sanz García, Maite Pelacho, Tim Woods, Dilek Fraisl, Linda See, Mordechai (Muki) Haklay et al.
- Citizen Science Platforms | Hai-Ying Liu, Daniel Dörler, Florian Heigl, Sonja Grossberndt
- Citizen Science in the Digital World of Apps | Rob Lemmens, Vyron Antoniou, Philipp Hummer, Chryssy Potsiou
- Communication and Dissemination in Citizen Science | Simone Rüfenacht, Tim Woods, Gaia Agnello, Margaret Gold, Philipp Hummer, Anne Land-Zandstra et al.
- Evaluation in Citizen Science: The Art of Tracing a Moving Target | Teresa Schaefer, Barbara Kieslinger, Miriam Brandt, Vanessa van den Bogaert
- The Recent Past and Possible Futures of Citizen Science: Final Remarks | Josep Perelló, Andrzej Klimczuk, Anne Land-Zandstra, Katrin Vohland, Katherin Wagenknecht, Claire Narraway et al.