- Search engine/
- Tool Detail/
- SELFIE | Self-reflection on Effective Learning by Fostering the use of Innovative Educational Technologies
SELFIE | Self-reflection on Effective Learning by Fostering the use of Innovative Educational Technologies✎
SELFIE is an initiative of the European Commission. The tool has been developed in close cooperation with a team of experts from schools, education ministries and research institutes across Europe. Partner institutions include the European Training Foundation, the European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (CEDEFOP) and UNESCO’s Institute for Information Technologies in Education.
SELFIE is a tool designed to help schools embed digital technologies into teaching, learning and student assessment. It can highlight what’s working well, where improvement is needed and what the priorities should be. The tool is currently available in the 24 official languages of the European Union with more languages to be added over time.
SELFIE gathers – anonymously – the views of students, teachers and school leaders on how technology is used in their school. This is done using short statements and questions and a simple 1-5 agreement scale. The statements cover areas such as leadership, infrastructure, teacher training and students’ digital competence.
The assessment takes around 30 minutes. Questions are tailored to each group. For example, students get questions relating to their learning experience, teachers reflect on training and teaching practices and school leaders address planning and overall strategy.
Based on this input, the tool generates a report – a snapshot (‘SELFIE’ :-)) of a school‘s strengths and weaknesses in their use of digital technologies for teaching and learning. The more people in the school taking part, the more accurate the SELFIE of their school will be.
The results and insights from the SELFIE exercise are for your school only and are not shared unless you choose to do so.
The findings can help you see where you are at and, from there, start a conversation on technology use and develop an action plan for your school. SELFIE can then be used at a later stage to gauge progress and adapt the action plan.
SELFIE is available for primary, secondary and vocational schools in Europe and beyond. It can be used by any school – not just those with advanced levels of infrastructure, equipment and technology use.
- SELFIE involves the whole school community – school leaders, teachers and students – in a 360-degree process covering many areas of school practice.
- Because every school is unique, the tool can be customised. Your school can select and add questions and statements to suit your needs.
- SELFIE allows all participants to answer questions that match their experience, as students, teachers or school leaders.
- SELFIE is free of charge. Answers are anonymised and data is secure.
- You can take the assessment from a computer, tablet or smartphone.
- On completing SELFIE, each school receives a tailor-made, interactive report which provides both in-depth data and quick insights into strengths and weaknesses.
Be part of a growing community of schools across Europe that are using SELFIE to help them build digital technologies into their teaching and learning.