RESPONSIBLE-INDUSTRY. Responsible Research and Innovation in Business and Industry in the Domain of ICT for, Health, Demographic Change and Wellbeing✎
Last modified on 18 April 2019
Responsible-Industry was an EU-funded project that explored how private corporations can conduct their research and innovation activities responsibly.
Activities and Results
Responsible-Industry guided interactive discussions between leading industry partners, established RRI experts, policy advisors and civil society organisations to drive the research and innovation process with the principles of RRI in mind. In doing so, Responsible-Industry aimed at achieving the following objectives:
- Synthesis of current discourses on RRI in the industrial context, based on an extensive literature review, 30 in-depth interviews with industry thought leaders, 5 bottom-up case studies and 2 Horizon Scanning reports.
- Investigation, through practical cases and in depth dialogue with stakeholders (industry, CSOs, policy makers and emerging global stakeholders), of processes, challenges and opportunities leading to responsible innovation along specific value chains of products and applications.
- International Delphi Study of RRI in industry involving 130-150 stakeholders and an international Multi-Stakeholder workshop.
- Development of a detailed implementation plan to be tested in at least 4 pilot projects.
- Reflection on the viability of the implementation plan, supported by least 15 industry-driven focus groups.
- Development of models of RRI in industry as a basis of specific recommendations to be disseminated to the various stakeholders through an Exemplar Implementation Plan of RRI in Industry.
The main outcomes of the project are summarised here.
A Framework for RRI in Industry: Final Release:
- Centre for Computing and Social Responsibility, De Montfort University, United Kingdom
- Institute of Technology Assessment and Systems Analysis, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
- University of Central Lancashire –Cyprus, Cyprus
- Fundación TECNALIA Research & Innovation, Spain
- University of Twente, Netherlands
- Associazione Italiana per La Ricerca Industriale, Italy
- Mads Clausen Institute, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
- Euclid Network, United Kingdom
- VTT Technical Research Centre, Finland
Centre for Computing and Social Responsibility
Faculty of Technology
De Montfort University
EU contribution: EUR 1.496.992
Project reference: 609817