European Stakeholder Round Table on Citizen and DIY Science and Responsible Research and Innovation✎
Ramanauskaite, E. M., Serrano, F., Boheemen, P. v., Völker, T., Wyszomirski, P., Vohland, K. (2017): European Stakeholder Round Table on Citizen and DIY Science and Responsible Research and Innovation. Doing-it-Together Science Report.
On 8th November 2016, the European Citizen Science Association (ECSA) organized the European Stakeholder Round Table on Citizen Science (CS), Do-it-Yourself (DIY) Science and Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) at the Museum für Naturkunde Berlin as part of the Doing-it-Together Science (DITOs) project. More than 50 participants took part in the one day event and contributed their perspectives on CS and DIY Science as stakeholders from science, communication, government, business, civil society and art. The event was part of Berlin Science Week accompanying the Falling Walls conference and linked to a Soirée on Public Participation in Bioinnovation at the museum as well as meetings of the ECSA Policy Working Group and DITOs consortium.
The round table was the first of a series of stakeholder events with the objective of improving the link between CS and DIY Science and decision makers. The specific aims of this workshop were:
- Develop joint understandings of CS, DIY Science, Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI), and related concepts,
- Map and analyse the links between these concepts,
- Clarify the understanding of roles of the different stakeholders and actors,
- Discuss needs and barriers of stakeholders to implement RRI in CS and DIY Science projects,
- Start working on DITOs policy papers and their underlying concepts, on Biodesign and environmental sustainability,
- Informing about DITOs and possibilities to get involved.