Concepts and Practice of Responsible Research and Innovation
This Massive Open Online Course introduces the concept of Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) and the different approaches towards it. It will show inspiring RRI practices and activities and give participants the opportunity to investigate RRI in a role-play exercise. Participants will develop first ideas on how to implement RRI into practice and will be given the chance to exchange their views.
Open online course; not part of a higher education study programme.
Year of study
Open online course; not part of a study programme.
Learning outcomes (LO)
On completion of this course students will be able to
- describe the history and idea of Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI);
- discuss and contrast the different approaches and concepts of RRI;
- adapt and translate their knowledge of RRI into their own work or studies.
Assessment methods and criteria
- Active participation in role-play exercise and open discussion.
- Overall final exam at the end of the course (online).
- Short reflection post of about 500 words: Participants should reflect on what they gained from doing the MOOC and how they will and can incorporate it into their work or studies.
Prerequisites and co-requisites
There are no prerequisites or co-requisites for participating in this course.
Mode of delivery
Online course, video, and text material.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
- Online learning via text material and videos.
- Reading of academic articles.
- Short quizzes for self-assessment.
- Role-play exercise.
- Online forum discussions.
- Peer review and feedback.