Couso, D., Simarro, C., Perelló, J., Bonhoure, I. (2017) 10 ideas to include the RRI perspective in STEM education
10 ideas to include the RRI perspective in STEM education is part of the Deliverable 3.2 Report on Responsible Research and Innovation of the STEM4you(th) project which seeks to describe aspects related to Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI).
Creative Commons license Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International CC-BY-SA
The report includes
- In its first section "RRI: A short introduction" a brief summary about what RRI is and which are its antecedents.
- In the second section "RRI in STEM education: What and why?" a discussion about why including RRI perspective in STEM education is important and what implications would this new perspective imply. In the latter section, a more nuanced definition is proposed than is hitherto available of STEM education pillar.
- Finally, the last section "10 ideas to include the RRI perspective in STEM Education" offers a useful guide of ten big ideas about how RRI perspective could be brought to STEM Education, considering the pillars and processes that characterize the RRI paradigm and linking these big ideas with the several methodologies in STEM education.
RRI: A short introduction
- RRI paradigm
- RRI as a practice
RRI IN STEM EDUCATION: WHAT AND WHY?
- The starting point: STEM Education today
- What does the RRI perspective mean in STEM Education?
- Why is the RRI perspective in STEM Education important?
10 IDEAS TO INCLUDE THE RRI PERSPECTIVE IN STEM EDUCATION
- Idea 1. RRI reshapes what to teach in STEM
- Idea 2. RRI challenges the methodologies to be used in STEM education
- Idea 3. Learning RRI asks for first hand experiences
- Idea 4. RRI needs explicit and critical reflection in STEM classes
- Idea 5. Motivation is key for RRI practice in STEM education
- Idea 6. Gender is an issue in STEM teaching
- Idea 7. Inclusion is a driving force for STEM learning
- Idea 8. RRI perspective needs a systemic approach that overcome STEM disciplines
- Idea 9. Transparency and openness should be the new cultures in STEM education
- Idea 10. STEM education from an RRI perspective must deal with uncertainty as part of our future
RRI European Projects